Boy Electrocuted At Puja Pandal In Bhimpur, Died

ElectrocutedElectrocuted

Bhimpur, Sept. 28: A 15 year old boy died in Nadia’s Bhimpur after he was electrocuted in a puja pandal while trying to move a pedestal fan using his fingers that developed a technical snag. The incident occurred at the Bhimpur School Para puja committee pandal when many devotees were offering “Pushpanjali” (floral offering) before the Goddess.

The deceased boy, identified as Kingsuk Biswas, was a student of class nine at local Bhimpur Swamiji Vidyapith. He was declared dead on arrival at Saktinagar district hospital in Krishnanagar.

Kinshuk was the only son of Karunamoy Biswas, a book shop owner at the Bhimpur School para market.

A pall of gloom descended in Bhimpur School para area as the puja committee members called off the puja celebration after the news of death of the boy arrived.

 “The pedestal fan provided at the mandap was not functioning properly. The weather was hot and devotees offering anjali before the Goddess, were sweating. So Kingsuk decided to move its blade using his fingers, but got electrocuted. He fell on the ground along with the fan. It took few minutes to realize the accident when the power was switched off and the boy was rushed to hospital” – An eye witness

“We are shocked and stopped all types of celebration with broken hearts. The rituals of the puja will be observed in customary way, but there will be no fun fare, music and illuminations”, said a puja committee member.

Police said, the incident occurred at about 9.30 in the morning a little after the floral offering of ‘Maha Ashtami’ puja just began.

A member of the puja committee said: “The pedestal fan provided at the mandap was not functioning properly. The weather was hot and devotees offering anjali before the Goddess, were sweating. So Kingsuk decided to move its blade using his fingers, but got electrocuted. He fell on the ground along with the fan. It took few minutes to realize the accident when the power was switched off and the boy was rushed to hospital”.

An officer of Bhimpur police station said: “The death of the boy appears to be a case of accident. We have started a case of unnatural death. There is so far no specific complaint lodged by the victim’s family. However, we will check with WBSEDCL authorities if permission from them was obtained and the electric wiring at the pandal was done by authorized electrician”.