Mohanpur, Oct. 12: Former Director of CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory Professor Sourav Pal has taken over charges today as the third Director of Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Kolkata and also set up his priorities being the new head of this premier institution of the country.
As the new Director Pal said that getting foreign faculties and students, linking science to developing new products and providing professional counseling to students would be some of his top priorities during the next five years.
Today he met the faculty members and other administrative officials in Mohonpur. During his inaugural interactive session, he put emphasis on the need of ‘international faculty and students’.
“It is my objective to make international faculty and students to be part of the IISER Kolkata. Such inclusion of international faculty would enhance the ranking of the institute”, he said.
Making his priority clear he said: “I would like to have a more focused approach in teaching and research with maximum industry – academia linkage”.
Before joining the IISER-Kolkata today, Professor Pal was working as a professor in Chemistry at IIT Mumbai.
“I would like to have a more focused approach in teaching and research with maximum industry – academia linkage” – Prof. Sourav Pal
An alumnus of IIT-Kanpur, Professoor Pal replaced Professor R.N.Mukherjee tenure who returned to IIT-Kanpur on completion of his five year’s tenure.
Professor Pal had earlier served as Director (Physical and Materials Chemistry) at National Chemical Laboratory in Pune from 2010 to 2015.
– Director, Physical and Materials Chemistry, NCL, Pune, (2002-2010).
– Director, CSIR- NCL, Pune (2010-2015).
– Director (Additional Charge), CSIR- Central Salt & Marine Chemicals Research Institute, Bhavnagar (2014-2015).
– Adjunct Professor, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune (2006 onwards).
– Professor (HAG), Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai (2015 onward)