Researcher from Sudan Died Of Heart Attack at BCKV

Researcher from Sudan Martin LoliaResearcher from Sudan Martin Lolia

Kalyani, June 10: An Assistant Professor from Sudan who was doing a research work at Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswabidyalay (BCKV) in Nadia’s Mohanpur died on Sunday afternoon after he suffered cardiac arrest at his hostel room. Some fellow researchers took him to Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Kalyani where he succumbed a few minutes after arrival.

The deceased researcher identified as Martin Lolia (48), was a resident of Hai Baluk village of Torit province in South Sudan, who was at the final stage of his research work on ‘Maize’ under professor Champak Kumar Kundu of department of agronomy.

BCKV sources said that Lolia fell ill first on Thursday with chest pain and respiratory problem. He was taken to the University’s Medical unit, where the medical officer Kaushik Chatterjee diagnosed him suffering from heart murmur, an unusual sound heard between heartbeats.

Medical officer Chatterjee said, “His condition was quite bad as he had chest pain, with respiratory trouble. His blood pressure was also very high. Moreover, the reason behind heart murmur was not clear so immediate hospitalization was advised”

Amini, a co-researcher from Afghanistan said, “The doctor advised him immediate admission to the hospital. He was taken to hospital and remained admitted there till Saturday. He got discharged on that day and resumed normal life. But, unfortunately he fell ill again on Sunday morning”.

Sources said fresh trouble cropped up on Sunday after Lolia had a cycle ride inside campus under the sun in the morning to visit a farm in connection with research work.

Students and researchers staying at the international guest house took him to medical officer who referred Lolia to Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Kalyani. Tapas Das, the medical officer who attended Lolia said, “The patient was in critical condition. He did not respond to medicine and died a little after he was admitted to the hospital”. 

Vice chancellor professor Dharanidhar Patra rushed to the hospital to see him, but he succumbed before he reached there.

A section of the researchers alleged that University authorities did not take much care of him since he fell ill.

“There was none to monitor his condition. Even today the medical officer did not accompany him to hospital. There was problem of fooding. Lolia was compelled to cook food for self as there was no fooding arrangement at the guest house where university authorities put him for stay.The guest house was not also of international standard which the foreign researchers deserve”, a researcher alleged.

Vice chancellor Dharanidhar Patra, however, ruled out the allegations. He said, “As a foreign student all facilities were provided to him. He was happy with us for last three years and scheduled to submit his papers by July, but death unsettled everything. We have informed the Sudanese embassy about his death. His body has been kept in Peace heaven”. 

Lolia had appealed for ‘no objection’ certificate for extension of his visa, which the university authority also approved.

Professor Kajal Sengupta, head of department of agronomy, said, “Professor Lolia was going in service PhD here with us. He was very sincere. He came India on the recommendation of Ministry of External Affairs under an international research programme of Indian Council of Agricultural Research funded and sponsored by Union Ministry of Agriculture”.

Share the news